Thursday, January 24, 2013

Feeling Better & A Link-Up

I'm a little late with the post today...oopsies!  I've noticed that my blog list has been getting longer and longer.  And it takes a long time to get through all my daily blogs.  But I love it, and I won't make it smaller...I'm sure it will get even bigger over time.   :)    But a good idea for me would be to update my blog first, and then start reading.

---

First things first.  I did not exercise last night.  Oops again.  I was just too wiped out from the Dayquil/Nyquil.  I am back at work today - the chest still hurts, and my voice sounds terrible at times, but I'm feeling better.

Check out my #bigasssalad....

Operation Red Bikini!!

I think I have a new favorite salad.  Which is a big deal coming from me.  It's a Southwest Chicken Salad.  I found the recipe over at Southern Girl Gets Fit (and she got it from here).  OMG, it tastes like taco dip.

**In my best Homer Simpson voice**  Mmmmm, taco dip.  **End voice**

If you know me, you know that taco dip is the highlight of all of my mom's holiday/birthday parties.  She makes it every time, and every time my brother and I fight over who gets the leftovers.  The recipe did call for some tortilla chips on the top, but since I haven't been working out as much this week, I chose to forego those (but will for sure add them next time).  I'm not a salad fan, probably never will be, and I'm sure I'll get sick of this salad by tomorrow or Saturday....but this one takes the cake.  You should try it!  One thing to note - along with the chips, I omitted the black beans (not a big bean fan) and the avocado (forgot to buy some).

---

On a little more serious note - my knees are bothering me.  Like above the knee - whenever I get up or sit down, they hurt.  I'm hoping I didn't do too much too soon.  But I'll definitely be making some adjustments to my workouts so I don't injure myself.  I'm sure it's just because it's been forever and a day since I worked out consistently.  And I will hopefully build up my strength/muscles over time.

---

Now for a link-up.  Katie over at KTJ Weighing In started this link-up today...head on over to her blog and join the fun!!


It's all about the non-scale victories.  Since starting weight training, I've been trying not to focus on the scale, because my muscles are probably tearing and holding on to some water.  Even though I haven't seen improvements on the scale, I did have a couple NSV's!

1. Smaller Size.  I went shopping over the weekend.  All you girls out there who need to lose weight know that shopping is not always fun.  However, this weekend was great.  I actually did not feel like a whale when trying on clothes.  And when I picked up a pair of size 10 black pants (for work), I was a little skeptical they'd fit (they didn't have a 12).  But I tried them on anyway, and they fit!!  

2. Working Out on the Weekends.  I am lazy.  Yes, true fact.  I never liked to work out on weekends.  Even if my workout schedule only allowed one rest day during the weekend, I'd still use both Saturday and Sunday as my rest day.  Not the case the past two weeks.  Score!

3. Putting my workouts first.  My boyfriend plays volleyball pretty much every night.  I used to go watch him every night.  Not anymore.  I choose to workout instead (except for that one day last week).  And this week (on Monday), I made it a point to drive home and do my workout before driving back in to Minneapolis to watch him play.  Not one ounce of guilt there - I didn't even care about the extra gas I used!

---

That's it for today.  Make it a great one!

8 comments:

  1. Whoo hooo on the NSV keep it up. It is hard to remeber to put the workout first when we want to support the poeple in our lives so I applaud you! You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, it was hard to do, but I don't regret anything!

      Delete
  2. Great job on the NSVs! Especially the one about putting yourself first, I think that is so key when you are trying to get in shape. I'm glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm one of those people who puts everyone before myself, so yes, it was a good thing for me. :)

      Delete
  3. A smaller size! That's awesome! It sounds like you are doing an amazing job with your workouts too! Keep up all the great work and thanks for linking up with us this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thank you for hosting it! It's a great idea. :)

      Delete
  4. Love that salad! I've been getting in a rut with the same salads for lunch all week. Putting the ingredients for a southwest salad on my grocery list for next week.

    ReplyDelete