Friday, September 21, 2012

Wellness Program

So our company, like many other large companies, has a wellness program.  Basically, we get all our vital information, and based on those, we get a certain % discount on our medical premiums.  I got my results in the mail yesterday.  How did I do?  Um, well let's start with the good news.

I did pass all of the tests (the company-defined goals, not the national standards - you get bonus points for passing national standards), so I'll be getting a 20% discount.  My blood glucose levels were normal.  That was a relief, because my dad's side is full of diabetes.  My dad was diagnosed a couple years ago, so it certainly scared me (but apparently not enough, because I still drink soda like I'll never drink it again).  I fell right in the middle of the normal range.  My blood pressure was also great (118/75).  That's also a good thing, because my grandpa has high blood pressure and has to take meds (along with a few other people on my mom's side).

Now for the bad news.  We all know I'm overweight, and am not in the normal BMI range (although I passed the company's goal...but not by much).  I have a BMI (or at the time of the testing I did) of 28.1, and my Body Fat % is 34.8%.  Gross.  But like I said, I already knew this.

Now on to the part that scares me....I have high total cholesterol and high triglycerides.  Which puts me at a high risk of heart disease and stroke.  And I'm only 27.  I have too much LDL (bad) cholesterol, and my HDL (good) is good.  As far as triglycerides, I should be below 150.  I'm at 226.  WHAT?!  That means I have a lot of fat running through my blood.

This really puts my weight loss in to perspective.  Yes, I do want to lose weight to look good.  And anyone who says that's not a reason they're losing weight, they're lying.  Everyone wants to look good.  But now it's more than just looks.  I don't want to end up like my Grandpa.  Not only does he have high blood pressure, but he also has take a lot of medication for his high cholesterol (my dad, too).

Looks like I'll be eating fewer egg yolks, high fat cheese/dairy, and butter; and I'll be trying to eat much more  egg whites, lower fat cheese, and cut my butter intake.  **Sigh**

No comments:

Post a Comment