Friday, March 22, 2013

Week 3 Day 2 Recap

Yesterday was a tough workout.  I did not want to go to the gym.  I was dragging all day - I had no motivation to do anything, and I was exhausted.  I don't know why I was so tired, but I'm thinking that all this training is making my body just a little tired.  But I went to the gym anyway.  I was about to drive home, but decided to drive the other way to the gym.  I was happy I did that.  Proud of myself.

Inside was a different story.  I started my music and started the warm-up.  My legs felt like lead.  I kept telling myself I wasn't sure how I was going to finish that workout.  The first run was a little difficult.  It was hard getting my feet off the ground, one foot in front of the other.  Finally I could start walking again.  Ugh, then the 3 minutes came.  It was hard.  My breathing was very hard (I'm sure people were scared when they heard me coming up behind them).  My legs hurt and burned.  I wanted to quit.  I looked at my phone, and saw I had 15 seconds left, so I kept going.


Finally I could walk again.  By this point, the workout was getting a little easier, and my mood started to lift.  

"Hey,"  I thought.  "Maybe I really can do this whole thing."

Wrong.  The next 90 second run and walk were okay.  Then when I got to the three minutes, I hit a wall.  After running for what seemed like an eternity, I looked at my phone to see how much time was left.  Oh my god, I was only halfway through that 3 minutes.  I couldn't keep going.  And I started to walk.  I continued to jog/walk for the rest of that 1 minute and 30 seconds.  But I was disappointed in myself.  

"If I can't run for 3 minutes, how the hell am I going to run a 5K??"
"I'm going to embarrass myself in front of everyone."
"Maybe I shouldn't have told everyone about this 5K."
"Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a runner."

Then that happened.  I kept putting myself down, because I didn't finish the full 3 minutes.  I started getting scared of that 5K.  But you know what?  Not every run is going to be a good one.  I had no energy yesterday.  I wasn't fueling myself with the right foods yesterday.  I had absolutely no water.

When I got home, I found this book.


I got this book a while back, when I had decided I wanted to be a runner, but never even made it through the first week of training.  Now?  I've made it a lot farther than I did all that time ago.  I studied what I should be eating.  It's really no different than what everyone else should eat to be healthy.  Something inside me clicked.  I should not be running to negate the calories that I eat every day.  I should be eating to fuel my workouts.  I need balanced meals.  I need the right food at the right times to give myself energy for a run.  I always knew this, but I never knew  this (get what I mean?).  

And then I was proud of myself.  Proud that I went to the gym.  Proud that I finished that workout, even though I just wanted to stop.  Proud that I plan to keep going with my regularly scheduled workouts.  Because that's what I have to do.  

2 comments:

  1. Its totally normal to have "off" days when it comes to running! It just happened to me on Tuesday. I'm a pretty experienced runner at this point and I couldn't get halfway through my workout, so I left the gym and went home feeling crappy. But the next day felt much better, so in my experience, there are lots and lots of ups and downs! Keep going, you're doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so easy to get down on yourself, but don't! You should be proud that you went to the gym and you did run even if it wasn't the "full" time. Just keep going and it will get better!

    ReplyDelete