Thursday, March 7, 2013

My Steps to Overcome Nighttime Snacking

Gooood morning!  Only 1 more day to the weekend!  I'm in a great mood today, because I stepped on the scale again this morning, and it looks like yesterday's weight was a fluke (I was holding lots of water in this body!).  My weight this morning was 157.2, which is a loss of 0.6 pounds since last week.  Not a ton, but it's also something.  I'll be recording this weight on the "Weigh Ins & Rewards" page.  

I went to the gym last night - score!  I did the 25 minute abs class, and the Turbo Step class.  My abs were still hurting from Monday's class, so it was a little hard to do a lot of the moves.  The majority of the class was spent on a Bosu ball.  Let's just say I was wobbling quite a bit.    :\          The Turbo Step class was fun again.  It was a different instructor (who is actually a sub for the normal Wednesday night instructor), and it wasn't as tough as Monday's class.  But between the abs and step classes, I managed to burn 611 calories.  Not too shabby!

----

In yesterday's post, I talked about my new habit of nighttime eating.  I know that this time of day is probably the most unhealthy  time of day to stuff my pie hole, yet it has increasingly become a problem.  So I sat down to come up with a few ways to stop it.


1.  Create a schedule.  I think my main problem is that I'm bored, and a little lonely.  The boyfriend is at volleyball every night, and he usually doesn't get home until 10:30 or 11.  Yes, I could go to volleyball, but then we'd end up eating at midnight, and I'd also end up eating chips and soda (the snacks they sell there).  Not a good thing.  So I think I need to create a schedule of different things for me to do each night.  I've outlined those activities in the next few bullet points.

2.  Start dinner, then go for a walk on the treadmill (or outside, when it gets nice), and listen to a podcast.  Planning is key here.  I'd need to make sure I plan what I'm going to eat, and make sure that I know what I need to do to prep for all my meals.  I found an AWESOME web site a couple weeks ago (you can visit it here), and she has great tips for freezer cooking.  I'll be doing my homework the next few days.  And if anyone has any good podcast suggestions (I'd prefer health/fitness related), let me know in the comments section!

3.  If I want to spend time on the computer, go to Barnes & Noble.  That way I won't be tempted to snack.  Plus, it's probably better to be on the computer sitting at a desk, rather than laying on the couch.  I'll also be leaving my purse in the car so I don't get suckered in to buying one of those delicious bakery items in the cafe.


4.  Surveys at the book store.  I've been trying to save as much money as I can - it's been one of my goals for 2013.  One way I could make more money is by doing surveys online.  I did it before, and I actually was able to make some good money.  It won't make me a millionaire, but if I go to Barnes & Noble a couple times a week, I could make this survey taking my second "job."

That's it in a nutshell.  I think making a schedule is key, so I'm not bored.  Does that mean making dinner later in the evening?  Yes.  But if I map it out right, I should not be spending too much time at night in the kitchen.  Lately, I've been watching TV on Hulu on my computer in the kitchen while I cook, and that triggers me to snack.  So, not a good idea for me.   :)

Google Calendar will be my best friend moving forward.  Can't wait to share what I come up with!

----

Oh, and I called Advocare.  For some reason they did not ship my order?  No idea why.  But they shipped it yesterday, so it's on its way.  Advocare will be in my near future.  Um, yay?  Ha!

Make it a great one!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather, I had this weird habit of eating in the middle of the night :( I would eat healthy the entire day and then wake up in the middle of the night and eat crap, to get rid of this habit what I did was decided whenever I wake up I would eat 1 cookie and 1 orange (healthy and unhealthy) instead of only unhealthy..slowly I changed to eating only an orange (unhealthy out) and then finally I decided when I wake up in the middle of the night before I put anything in my mouth I drink water read for 10 minutes and after this if I still feel like eating I go for a healthy option...this way I managed to get rid of a lifelong bad habit..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tips are so true. I stay UPSTAIRS at night - then the temptations are not so bad.

    ReplyDelete