Monday, March 11, 2013

Digging Deep (Part 2)

First, thanks for all the kind comments and encouraging words.  It means a lot to me.  It certainly wasn't the easiest thing writing that post, but it really helped me feel....free, almost?  Things will only get better from here on out.    :)

----

So as I was saying in my previous post, I've never really had to work hard to get anything I wanted in life.  If I wanted something, I just got it.  Hooray for a spoiled childhood!  But not so great when you get older.  I did a little research, and it turns out that those who were "spoiled" as children can turn out to be adults who don't know how to handle real life situations (especially when it comes to finances), and some find it hard to keep a job.  Hmm...sounds like me.

Now please don't think that I'm some self-centered brat.  I'm not - far from it, actually.  What's weird is that I put everyone before myself.  Maybe rather than feeling like I should be center of attention (like I was in my childhood), I got the gene that my parents had - they put me before themselves.  Yep, it's true, and here's an example.  I always pack a lunch for my boyfriend.  I never miss a day.  But do I do the same for myself?  Nope.  I've gotten better at it, but there were days and days that went by where I would have to drive to the local grocery store or some other fast food place to get my lunches, because I didn't take the time to make a lunch for myself.  My boyfriend never had that problem.

That's just one example, and there just is not enough blog space to give you all the examples.  So couple the fact that I always put others before me, with the fact that I've never had to work hard at anything - that's just a disaster waiting to happen when it comes to weight loss.

What can I do to fix it?  It's going to take time, and lots of energy, with some perseverance and patience sprinkled in.  My goals for March are to the right of this page.  I'm going to make a daily checklist for myself, for each day of the week.  It will be on my fridge at home, and it will be very detailed.  I'll need to go through these checklists every day to make sure I get everything checked off.


Checklists might seem a little mundane, but I've found that it has worked for me at work.  Last Friday I created checklists for each day of the week, with a space to fill in my to-do items, plus things that pop up throughout the day.  And let me tell you, today has been one of the most productive days I've had at work in a long time.  I've gotten SO many things checked off my to-do list that have been bothering me for the past month.  All because of a simple checklist.  I tend to be lazy and let my thoughts wander.  When I have a checklist, it keeps me focused.

Each day, if I haven't checked off everything on my checklist, I can't relax on the couch to watch TV or surf the internet.  And no Facebook or Instagram on my phone either, until it's done!  I have to go straight to bed.  That list needs to be full of checkmarks!!  (Ha, time to bring out the parent in me!)

What are some other things I can do?  How else will I go about teaching myself to work hard?  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment