Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Greek Style Turkey Burgers

Last night I cooked the meal that will be my dinner for the rest of the week.  And all the while, I was thinking, "Dear God, I hope I like this."  Because wouldn't that suck if I had to choke something down that I really don't like for the rest of the week?  

Well, I liked it.  Actually, that's an understatement.  I LOVED it!!  It was new and different.  So I thought I'd share the recipe.  Please note that I did NOT come up with it.  I am terrible when it comes to being creative in the kitchen.  I did a search for clean eating ground turkey recipes, and this one intrigued me.  The Greek Style Turkey Burgers off of Clean and Delicious.

Greek Style Turkey Burgers

Ingredients
1 lb extra lean ground turkey
1 T garlic powder
1 T Oregano
1/2 t salt & pepper
1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup jarred roasted peppers (I didn't use these because I couldn't find any)
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, chopped
1/3 cup Feta cheese, crumbled

Directions
Place turkey in a large bowl and add garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper, and yogurt.  Using your hands, combine until everything is well incorporated. 

Add peppers, olives and feta cheese to turkey mixture and gently work into the meat until the ingredients are evenly distributed.

Heat  grill pan over a medium heat and drop burgers on the pan.  Grill for about 6 minutes or until cooked through.

Place burgers inside a few leaves of butter lettuce and top with a couple of tablespoons of Tzaziki.  Enjoy.


I got the Tzaziki at Trader Joe's in the refrigerated section by the hummus, guacamole, and other dips.  I was a little nervous about this dip, but it was AMAZING!  It's a cucumber dip with garlic and other spices.  And it really added a great flavor.  

Oh, and I should mention that after I tried to flip my "burgers", I decided to mash them all up and just cook it like you do taco meat.  Because the burgers are VERY moist, and fall apart really easily.  I think I flipped them too much.  

Enjoy!!  And stay tuned tomorrow for the return of Weigh In Wednesday!!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy!!!! A lot of times when I make turkey burgers too they are real crumbly. I try to sear them really good on the outside first like put them on really high heat so it sort of helps them stay together better!

    ReplyDelete