Monday, February 18, 2013

23 And Divorced

Hey all!  This post is a little late.  I took the day off, because I had an eye appointment (which is an hour or more drive from work, closer to where my parents live, where I'm staying right now).  I also visited my Grandpa.  It was a nice, relaxing day.  Not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow.  But one plus?  I get to go back HOME tomorrow, and back to my regular life!   :)   So excited to be getting my routine back.

I've decided that today I'm not going to post about weight loss.  I need a little break from that (don't worry, it will be back to regularly scheduled programming tomorrow).  Instead, I'm going to talk about a conversation I had.  I had a phone conversation with someone from my past a couple days ago.  We went over how things were going in each other's lives, how the people in our lives are, etc. etc.  I asked him about his nephew (I think he's maybe 22 or 23).  He had gotten married maybe 4 years ago to literally the sweetest girl I'd ever met. 

Well, I found out that they're getting a divorce.  At 23.  The reason?  He went home one day, and the door was locked.  He thought it was a little weird, and he went around the back where the spare key is.  And apparently he saw his best friend sneaking out of his wife's (and his) bedroom window).  

WHAT?!?!  I couldn't believe it.  I was shocked.  I literally was speechless.  Like I said, she was the sweetest person I had ever met, and I couldn't believe she would do that.  

My point of this post?  Is marriage just not sacred anymore?  I mean here these 2 CHILDREN are, getting a divorce.  Who can say that they're 23 and divorced?  It is so crazy.  And it makes me scared.  Scared that I'll just end up another statistic if I'm not really careful about who I choose.  But even if I am careful, I could still end up a statistic.  What is happening?  

I didn't know them really, really well....but I was so sad.  I don't know why this struck me so hard.  I've been Facebook-stalking (and unfortunately can't find her profile) like crazy since I found out.  Maybe it struck me so hard, because it made me question my own relationship?  I've always had a hard time trusting people, and I've been questioning my trust in my current partner.  I really don't think my relationship with this person is going to work out.  And that makes me really sad.  And scared.  What if I never find someone to spend my life with?  And is it worse than being married young, and then divorced?  I don't know.

Sorry for getting so off-topic.  Like I said, I'll be back to normal tomorrow.  I just had to share this, because it's been in my head the last couple of days.  

You know I can't end my Monday post without putting up a Garfield cartoon.    :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow pretty intense stuff. Overall divorce is such a sad thing. I've gone through one and was the one who wanted it but it still made me sad for my kids. These days 50% of marriages end in divorce. It doesnt mean you shouldn't get married it just means make sure you want to be with that person forever. If you have doubts then don't get married. I had doubts before my first marriage. My rambling prolly didn't help you but believe me your not the only one feeling the way you do..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that is pretty scary. I think that love and marriage is a risk overall as you put yourself out there with the potential to be hurt. I think that people should really consider if they can handle being with one person for the rest of their lives before saying I DO... I thought I would never find my person and when I stopped looking at everything that was wrong (minor stuff like he holds his head to the left when talking on the phone, or the socks he is wearing) I saw that he was my Mr. Right

    ReplyDelete