Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Back to Basics

Good morning, and happy hump day - Friday can not come soon enough!!

So today I was wandering around Facebook and stalking looking at various profiles, when I noticed a post by a brother of an old friend of mine from middle school (she moved right before high school).  He had tagged her in a post, and mentioned that 2 years ago today, he lost his sister.  I was shocked - I had no idea she died.  So I did a little Google search, and found an old news story - she apparently died in a motorcycle accident.  She rear-ended a car that had stopped for some baby geese to cross the road, and she wasn't wearing a helmet.  I'm still in shock, and can't believe it.  Just a little reminder for me today that life is so short, and we shouldn't take anything for granted.


----

Yesterday when I got home, I noticed that my bike was laying down on a small hill not far from my apartment's balcony.  So someone took it for a ride and decided not to put it back?  And someone stole my ex's bike a few weeks ago.  We had them both sitting by my balcony - I guess we're too trusting.  I have new neighbors, and I'm thinking it's their kids.  The bikes have been sitting there for almost a year, and now one got stolen.


So last night I put the bike on my balcony.  Not a pretty sight when looking out the window - I'll have to stop being cheap and spend the few dollars it is to get a lock.  Luckily, my parents own a sporting goods store, and they said I can stop by to get myself a new bike any time *for free*.   ;)   ::spoiled::

----

When I started my journey, I was all gung-ho about my weight loss techniques.  I've continually tried to create plans/challenges for myself; sometimes I succeeded, but a lot of times I've failed.  My most recent plan is turning in to a fail.  I can not get out of this funk.  It seems whenever my schedule or something else in my life changes, I fall out of my workout/diet routine.  A few things have happened in my life recently (that I don't feel comfortable sharing here right now) that have made me go way off the train tracks.  For the past 3 weeks, I've struggled to get into a routine again.

I've printed out my plans and posted them on the refrigerator, only to leave them blank, with no X'es to mark the days off as "complete."  I really want to run the 5K before the 4th of July parade in my hometown, but I'm having second thoughts - I don't want to end up walking in that race.  I know too many people that will be watching.  And I haven't run for about 3 weeks.  Part of the reason is that my routine has changed drastically, but also because the weather has sucked - rainy and cold pretty much every day.


I know, I know.  No excuses.  But something has to change.  Often times, people get burnt out (or don't even start, like me) when they make plans that are far too big.  It's back to basics for me.  These are great tips for beginners when it comes to losing weight, and they're also great for someone who has gotten off track and needs to slowly build momentum again.  

1. Drink more water.  Ugh, if I hear this tip one more time, I am going to scream.  I'm not a water drinker, and I'm guessing a lot of you may know how addicted to soda I am.  I will still be doing the #NoSodaSummer challenge, and I've recently bought this huge jug of water....


Well, I guess this picture doesn't do it justice, but that baby holds 2.2 liters of water.  My goal is to eventually work up to drinking 1 of those things every day.

2. Count calories.  It's what I love to hate.  But I have to do it.  I haven't been tracking on My Fitness Pal lately, and it's time to get back in the saddle.  My user name is MyInnerButterfly - be my friend and kick my butt in gear!!

3. Weigh in regularly. I have been in an on-again, off-again relationship with that B from the start.  Heck, I could be off-again as soon as next week.  Another problem of mine is that I keep forgetting to weigh myself.  I'll be putting a reminder on my phone calendar so an alarm will go off every Monday morning.  For anything lost each week (even if it's .1 pounds), I'll put $20 in a jar.  Still deciding what I want that money to go towards.  More than likely, clothes.   :)

4. Move more. I'm going to start wearing my FitBit again.  I'm going to wear it for the rest of the week to see my average movement every day, and create a goal from there.  I've read several times that, if you work at a desk all day, a 1-hour workout hardly makes up for all the damage you do to your body when you're sitting all day.  I want to try to get up and move around at least once every hour.

5. Make a plan - and a back-up plan. Weekly meal plans will become a regular in my life again.  I'll also be creating weekly workout plans (that are not too complex, and don't take a lot of time).  And seeing as I like to come up with lots of excuses as to why I can't work out, I'm making back-up plans.  

----

It's basic.  It's simple.  Sometimes you just have to take a step back in order to move forward again.  I'm hoping this will be a refreshing change for me, and will get the ball rolling again.  Please hang in there and stick with me - I'll need all the encouragement I can get!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, and like you I despise water. Although I must admit when I drink it I see the results on the scale.... I need to be like you and get back to the basics. thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my ex-boyfriend dumped me 8 months ago after I caught him of having an affair with someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and don’t know what to do, so I visited the INTERNET for help and I saw a testimony on how a spell caster help them to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problems to him….. he cast a spell for me and assure me of 3 days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my sweetheart came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you Chief Priest Amros, you are truly talented and gifted contact his email: holytempleofsolution@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete