Monday, April 15, 2013

Couch to 5K Update

I've been a bad blogger friend, and haven't responded to any comments lately, or done much commenting on other blogs.  So sorry!  Things will get back to normal eventually.  I've just been overwhelmed in all areas of my life lately.  Things will be back to normal soon - promise!

On to Couch to 5K.  Last week, I was terrified.  I was able to do the 5/3/5/3/5 workout - on the treadmill. So when Day 2 came around (8/5/8), on the track, I was a little skeptical, and was doubting myself.  Guys...

I DID THE ENTIRE WORKOUT.  WITHOUT STOPPING!!!!!

I was so shocked!  The first 8 minutes, I kept looking at my phone to check how many minutes I had left.  It was not because I was tired.  Just for curiosity sake.  When I looked down at my phone the last time, and saw 25 seconds left, tears stung my eyes.  And I said, out loud, "Oh my God, I did it."  I had the biggest smile on my face.  I didn't care who heard me talking to myself.  I didn't care who saw the ridiculous smile on my face.  I was so proud of myself.

The five minutes walking was glorious.  I noticed that it did not take as much time to recover as in the past.  Progress!

 Then the next 8 minute run came.  I was still a little tired.  I wanted to stop a few times.  But I told myself no.

"You need to push yourself past your comfort zone - that's when you make progress."

I remember reading this so many times, and I kept repeating this to myself, over and over.  And I did it.

I couldn't believe myself, and what my body was capable of doing.  My knee pain is gone.  I don't sound like someone having an asthma attack anymore.  My legs don't cramp when I run anymore.

I'm getting stronger.

C25K works.  I had so much doubt in myself during weeks 3 and 4.  I couldn't even run 3 minutes.  Then that became easy, but then I couldn't run 5 minutes.  Now I'm running 8 minutes.  It's not easy, but it's at least a little comfortable.

Today is going to be a big jump.  20 minutes of running.  No walking.  But I have faith that, even if I do have to stop, I'll get through next week - stronger than ever.  What an awesome feeling.    :)

2 comments:

  1. GO HEATHER!!!! That is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! The 20 minute run changed everything (for the good!) for me. Just think...you'll be running along and look at your clock and catch yourself saying, "Only 8 more minutes!!" And then you'll laugh (or you would if you could catch your breath!) and think about how hard 8 minutes was before!

    ReplyDelete