Tuesday, April 16, 2013

20 Minutes

I decided I am still going to link-up with Katie and Kim today, despite the tragic events that occurred yesterday.  I still am in shock.  Running is something that I have been increasingly enjoying, and I can't imagine the emotions one must go through just to finish a marathon.  But for those who make it to the Boston Marathon - after all that sweat, blood, and tears - it is extra special.  And for someone to take that moment away from these runners is absolutely sick.  But it also made me see what a great community these runners have created.  After yesterday's events, I am proud to call myself a runner, and last night, I ran for Boston.

button

Yesterday was Week 5 Day 3.  If any of you have done C25K, you probably know exactly which day I'm talking about.  The day you go from running 8 minutes, to running 20 minutes straight - no stopping.  As I got on the treadmill, I couldn't help but tear up as I saw CNN blasting on all the TV's at the gym.  How sad to see those runners crossing the finish line, and most of them not being able to finish at all.  I was sad, and I was angry.  But I started my workout.

I wasn't expecting great things to happen.  20 minutes running is a long time, and before I started this program, I had never ever (like ever) considered running for that long of a time.  But I figured I'd just do what I could.  I would at least run 8 minutes, and if I wanted to stop, I could.

As soon as I heard "begin running," I was off.  I turned up my music, and I zoned out.  5 minutes passed, then 8 minutes.  I thought to myself, "This isn't so bad - I could probably do at least 10 minutes."

10 minutes passed, and I was still okay.  I looked up at the screen just then, and the words I saw on the screen broke my heart - 8 Year Old Boy One of the Victims Dead.  Ugh!  I turned up the speed on the treadmill, and I turned up my music.  15 minutes passed.

"Come on, Heather.  Only 5 more minutes.  You can do this!!"

At this point, my breathing started getting heavy.  I could feel the sweat dripping down my back, and then down my pants (you're welcome).  

"You're not going to die.  You can keep moving.  Only 3 minutes left!!"

It felt like those last 3 minutes went on for an eternity.  2 minutes, 1 minute - 30 seconds!!!  

I ran for 20 minutes.

To say that I'm proud of myself is an understatement.  Running is not only changing me physically, but emotionally and mentally as well.  I truly do know what people are talking about now when they say that running is like therapy.  When someone said that to me before, I laughed.  Who the hell would think of running as therapy??  More like TORTURE!! 

No, it is therapy.  Now I understand.  Now I'm a runner.

4 comments:

  1. I am SOOOO stinking proud of you Heather!!!! You make me tear up just reading your post - I wish I had been there to high five you when you were done!! YAYYYY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an amazing post! You are awesome and congrats for conquering that workout! Run for Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! 20 min like a boss! You made me giggle with the "you're welcome"!

    ReplyDelete