Tuesday, November 20, 2012

When to 5K

I've decided to seriously look in to 5K's to participate in.  Only question is...when?  I live in Minnesota, so the weather here is not all that great in the winter.  Thing is, the past couple years, we haven't had much of a winter.  I think last year we only had a few inches of snow, and we had a brown Christmas (yes, it is possible here in Minnesota....it's NOT as cold and snowy as people think sometimes!!).  And so far we haven't had any snow (at least where I live), and this week's forecast shows close to record highs in the 50s and 60s.

My dilemma right now is....should I just suck it up and do it by signing up for a St. Patty's Day 5K?  Or should I wait a little longer (really only 2 weeks) for an Easter 5K?  Or do I wait much longer and go for a Mother's Day 5K?  I know I don't have to do a "holiday" themed event, but I prefer bigger events.  Decisions, decisions.  I don't know what to do!  I really don't want to wait too long (May for Mother's Day) to do it.  But I don't want my first 5K to be in the frigid cold if the weather doesn't cooperate.
Yeah, no fun.  You would think I'm NOT from Minnesota by the way I'm acting when it comes to this decision.  Anyone out there, if you're reading this....any suggestions??

2 comments:

  1. I say the sooner the better! That way, you have a goal to train for. My first 5K was on an extremely hilly trail and I walked most of it. My second will be on Thursday on a much flatter course. I think once you get that first one done, you'll be ready to sign up for your next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice! I was thinking that too. Then if it's freezing out, well, I can maybe take a few runs outside before the race! :)

      Delete