Thursday, September 19, 2013

Influence From Others

Has anyone ever heard a comment from someone that completely ruined your day?  That day was today, for me.  Today is my boss's birthday, and we always have treats to celebrate someone's birthday.  We had doughnuts.  You know I can't turn down a doughnut - especially chocolate.  So after we did the whole "Happy Birthday" thing, we all took some.  Some people cut the doughnuts in half, some took whole doughnuts.  I took a whole doughnut.

And my boss said "Whoa, Heather's getting a big one!"

I kind of just gave a weird/annoyed look and said, "Um, okay."  What I really wanted to say will be left unsaid, but I'm sure you have an idea.

That turned my entire day around.  I was pissed.  I left at that instant and ate the doughnut, alone, at my desk.  I cut it in half and told myself I'd only eat half.  Which isn't what I did - I ate the whole thing.

Now, I know I think I may have taken it the wrong way.  Plus, men are stupid and say things without thinking.  But it pissed me off, and ruined my mood.  It has made me unmotivated to do my work (and I came to work so motivated to get stuff done), and it made me unmotivated to do anything diet/health related.

Why do we let the disgusting comments of others dictate our actions for the rest of the day?  I suppose this is something I need to work on.  And it has been noted in my journal.

Here's to hoping tomorrow is a better day.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had a bad day! Men can say the stupidest things without thinking. I'm sure he didn't mean it the way you took it, but it would have ruined my mood too. I hope you enjoyed your doughnut and have a better day tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a total ass-hat. i'm sure he didn't mean it, but why can't people have some common sense. i would have felt the exact same way as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one - I was starting to think maybe I'm just too sensitive! But yeah - talk about unprofessional coming from my boss too!

      Delete
  3. that's just a mean, but sometimes people don't realise what they say...it's best not to pay attention

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try - I'm getting better at not paying attention!

      Delete