Thursday, August 15, 2013

Why Counting Calories Does Not Work (And Never Will)

Okay, before you get your weight loss panties in a bundle, just hear me out first...

I was debating on whether I should be so bold with that title.  Well, it's my blog, and I'll cry if I want to.  Or something like that.

Now, when I say counting calories doesn't work, I mean it does not work for me personally.  And here's why.

Because I become obsessed with food.  And then I eat more.  And I gain weight.  It's a vicious cycle.  I've talked about this before, when I first decided I was going to start counting calories again.  I should have known better, because every time I've tried counting calories, I just become consumed with it, and food rules my life.

It starts to become a full-on eating disorder.  Yes, I said eating disorder.  Because my relationship with food is so distorted, that it's the only thing I think about.

"Okay, I've had X calories for breakfast.  I should tone it down for lunch.  But I already packed X, so now what?  I'll just eat it anyway, and eat hardly anything for dinner."

"Snack time is coming up.  My snack that I packed for today has X calories, but I really don't want it.  What else can I have that has the same calories?  A candy bar has way too much, and so do those Cheez-Its."

"Mmmmm, Cheez-Its.  But they have too many calories."

"Cheez-its!  Cheez-Its!  Cheez-Its!!"

"Okay, I'll have the Cheez-Its.  Now I really need to go light on the dinner."

"What can I eat for dinner that doesn't have any calories?  Salad?"

"I don't like salad.  But I definitely can't have any carbs."

"I just won't add any protein or dressing to my salad.  Maybe just some lettuce, cucumbers, and lime juice."

"Ugh, I really want a carb.  Spaghetti is sounding really good right now.  Maybe if I measure it out, I don't need to eat a salad."

And then I proceed to eat about 5 cups of spaghetti.  And swear to myself that I'll eat less then 1200 calories the next day.

Do you see how this goes?  And this is every day.  It is not healthy.  Some people can count calories and not constantly think about food - I'm jealous.  But that's not me.  Never has been, and never will be.

Weight loss is all about finding out what works for you.  If you go mental when counting calories, find something else that works.  For me, I'm taking small steps to eventually find a better balance when it comes to my love of food.

Now please excuse me while I enjoy my lunch, and not worry about how many calories I can eat at my next meal if I don't feel like eating what I packed today.

1 comment:

  1. Counting calories doesn't work for me either. I get obsessive and start wanting to eat foods that I normally don't give a second glance to, just because I can't have them. I read Naturally Thin by Bethenny Frankel and although I don't care so much for her, I did pick up a few tips. Ex. You can have it all, just not all at once. If I am having a small portion of dessert then I don't get pasta and wine. If I want the wine, I get a protein and veggie based meal, but skip the dessert or carbs. These were small changes that I was able to make over time and that worked way better for me than being restrictive.

    ReplyDelete