Monday, August 19, 2013

Small Steps Challenge

Well, it's Monday again, and it certainly feels like it.  You know it's not Monday for me until I enjoy a little Garfield.


I just can't help it - Garfield was my favorite cartoon growing up.  I watched all of the holiday specials.  I watched all the old Garfield.  I watched "Garfield and Friends" every Saturday morning, and any other time it was on.  I couldn't get enough of it.  And now, as an adult, I bought all of the Garfield and Friends DVD's.  LOL.  I'm obsessed.

----

So last week I talked about taking baby steps when it comes to my weight loss.  A lot of people say that taking small steps works a lot better for them.  For me, I know this is going to prove to be a little difficult, because I tend to be all-or-nothing when it comes to weight loss.  BUT my all-or-nothing mentality has gotten me no where.  They say weight loss is supposed to be uncomfortable.  So I'm thinking I'm on the right track.

This week, I chose 2 different small steps.  I'm going to add more water, and I need to watch what I'm eating when it comes to eating out and fast food.


Let's start with water.  To help me add more water, I'm going to keep a glass next to my bed (this may prove to be difficult, seeing as the cat loves to lay on the night stand).  I'm going to fill the cup each night, and drink the entire glass upon waking.  I'll also drink a cup of water before every meal.  Then again when I go to bed at night.  Here's what it looks like in bullet points (because I like bullet points):

  • Drink a cup of water upon rising
  • Drink a cup of water before every meal
  • Drink a cup of water before going to bed
Now for the fast food/eating out.  If I do get fast food (I tend to do this on the weekends), I can only order from the kids' menu - like a happy meal or something from McDonald's.  For places like Potbelly or Jimmy John's - I can only eat "skinny" versions of everything.  When eating out at a restaurant, if the kids menu is not an option for me, I'm going to only order 1-2 appetizers.  Also - no soda.  I can have soda at any other time, but not at restaurants.  As for buffets?  I need to have at least 2 vegetable servings on my plate, and I can only order water.  No juice or soda.  Again, here it is in bullet points:
  • Only order from the kids' menu
  • Order "skinny"
  • Only order 1-2 appetizers
  • Buffets: at least 2 vegetable servings, and water only
----

I think that adding these two things won't be too difficult.  As far as exercising goes, I'm still working out the details for that, but if I only work on these two things this week, that is okay.  I need to keep telling myself this.  I will get there eventually.  Slow and steady wins the race.


I'm also going to be adding a page just for my small steps plan.  Make sure you keep checking the tabs at the top of the page.  I may also add a link to each post, since I know a lot of people read blogs on their phones, and the entire page typically doesn't show up on phones.

----

That's it for today.  Make it a great one!

ETA: Here is the link to my Small Steps Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment