Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A Typical Day

Hi everyone - hope you're all having a fabulous Wednesday!  I for one am happy that this week is more than half over.  Coming back to work after a week-long vacation is no fun.  I'm ready for the weekend!!

Lately I've been talking about taking baby steps when it comes to weight loss.  I'm typically an all-or-nothing person, so this is a little difficult for me.  Especially when it comes to knowing where to start.

Well, I can't know where to start if I don't have a baseline - what does my typical day look like?  What do I eat on a "normal" day (for me)?  A normal day for me means not being restrictive with calories, and no bingeing (ugh, I never know how to spell that word).  For the last few days, I've been eating normally, and not really paying attention to trying to diet.  A typical day for me is between 1700-2000 calories.  At this calorie level, I've been maintaining/gaining a tiny amount here and there (with no exercise).  Nothing earth-shattering.

In the next few days, I'm going to be tracking my movement - how many steps do I take in a certain day?  I used an online calculator to figure out my resting metabolic rate, which is what I burn if I'm completely sedentary.  All calculators have me at a 1450-1550 RMR range.

Once I'm able to figure out a baseline for my movement, I'll put the two together and see what I can come up with.  Right now, I've made a very vague list of "baby steps" that I can put in to action over the next several weeks/months.  Here they are...
  • Find a designated eating area - no eating in front of the TV/computer/phone.
  • No fast food; start out by only ordering "kid" size portions.
  • Meal plan
  • Drink more water
  • 1 soda/day
  • Measure/weigh all food
  • Walk on the treadmill while watching Big Brother (and other favorite TV shows)
  • Add veggies/fruit to every meal (2 to breakfast, lunch, & dinner; 1 to snacks)
  • Low Carb Day(s)
  • Join a support group (like through an online forum such as 3 Fat Chicks)
  • Only 1 "treat" a day
  • Where is your baseline (working on this)?  (avg calories/day/week; avg steps/day/week; avg exercise/day/week; avg sleep/day/week)

Anyone have anything else to add?  Any suggestions for what I currently have?

2 comments:

  1. I am a big believer in taking small steps thats how I got to where I am today, all or nothing always lead to failure for me, I think your plan sounds great.I also started off by switching certain very unhealthy options to slightly less unhealthy and finally to healthy...like to start off with I did not completely give up on burgers I either skipped the top bun and cheese, then switched to wraps..then finally lettuce wraps and now I have not had a burger for a long long time and the best part is I don't miss it either, I have done the same thing with a lot of my unhealthy junk food options worked well for me :)
    all the best with your plan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips - I love it! That's a good idea regarding the fast food/burgers. I'm hoping this is the "breakthrough" I've been needing. Thanks again for always being so encouraging and supportive! :)

      Delete