Wednesday, May 15, 2013

So I Ran a 5K - Now What?

Now that all of the excitement of my first 5K is over, I found myself asking, "Now what?"  The last couple of months I had a plan.  Run 3 days a week following the C25K program, and do some of my favorite classes at the gym (Turbo Step and abs classes).  But now that C25K is over, and my gym membership is going to be frozen (for the summer months), I need to figure out what I'm going to do.


Well, look at me - I planned ahead.  Last week, I headed over to the Cathe Friedrich web site (you all know how much I love her), and got motivated again.  I wanted to incorporate her workouts in to my routine, and I wanted to keep running.  Back in the beginning of the year, I did her 30 day Xtrain rotation.  Now?  Now I'm going to be doing her 90 Day Undulating Xtrain rotation, and incorporate 10K training 3 days per week.


Wait, what?  YES, I said 10K.  Along with my 2 other 5Ks in July, I plan on putting a 10K on the calendar. I haven't decided which one I want to do yet, but I'm leaning towards the Medtronic Twin Cities 10K (they have a whole weekend dedicated to different races), which is in October.  Haven't made a final decision yet.


So, yes - I have officially gone crazy.  I have caught the running bug.  I'll be doing lots of weight training and running and other cardio workouts (HIIT and Tabata).  I'm excited to start.  I actually was planning on starting the rotation this past Monday, but life got in the way, and I've been "resting" since my 5K on Sunday.  So the rotation will begin next Monday (of course, with running incorporated, I'll be revising and moving the workouts around in the rotation a bit).  But I do want to keep running this week, so I'm thinking today I'll maybe do 2 miles, Friday I'll do 2.5 or something like that, and we'll see about the weekend.  This week is pretty loose and open.

I've made my calendars in Excel; now I just need to fill them in with my planned workouts, then mark them off as I go.

----

On another note, before I wrap this post up, I do realize that I forgot to weigh myself on Monday.  Can you believe it?  I told you - life has been hectic.  I ate Jimmy John's yesterday, which means a TON of salt and bloat, but I still weighed myself this morning, and it IS a lower number than last week.  But I want to wait until tomorrow to give my official weight so I can let this salt flush out of my system.  But so far, it's looking good!

That's it for today - make it a great one!!

2 comments:

  1. YES!! Do the Medtronic TC10k!! Seriously, do it! DO IT!! I love that race! It is the BEST way to be a part of the marathon weekend without having to run the full marathon, yet you feel very accomplished! You get to run across the same finish line too! The energy cannot be beaten in any other 10k around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have me excited! I'll be signing up before the end of the month! :)

      Delete