Monday, May 13, 2013

My First 5K

Morning everyone!  Well, yesterday was quite the day.  It was the day that these past couple months of training have been leading to - my first 5K!  I participated in the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure at Mall of America.  And it was packed to say the least.  I think I heard on the radio that there were about 50,000 people there - and they raised $2.5 million for breast cancer research!  I think a lot of them participated in the walk at 9:00 though - they didn't all participate in the run.  It was definitely a great thing to be a part of.

When I first got there, I was a little overwhelmed - and cold!  It was about 30 degrees!  I'm glad I brought my zip-up sweatshirt to wear over my race shirt, because it definitely helped warm me up.  There were so many booths in the health expo - I wish I had gotten there sooner to check all of them out (didn't have time to stick around after the race).  But I did stop to get a pink Hawaiian lei and a banana, ha!  I had had a piece of toast with peanut butter on the ride there, so I thought half a banana would be a good addition.


I got in line (there were no corrals), and they immediately started talking and welcoming everyone.  The national anthem started, and of course I got some tears in my eyes - it's that song, I tell you!  Gets me every time.  And soon after that, the race started.

It was a little slow-going at first, because of all the people.  But we took off and started running, and I started my music and my MapMyRun app.  Everyone was so excited, and I was definitely feeding off of adrenaline for the first mile.  I think I may have started too fast, because around the 1 mile marker, I felt pretty tired.  But I kept going.

A little after that, I started to get worried, because I was starting to get really out of breath.  I was sucking air, but told myself I have to keep going.  There were some people walking around me, and I felt the urge to do the same quite a bit, but I ran until I hit about 1.5 miles.  And then I walked for maybe 1 minute, and started back up again.  I kept looking at my app to check my pace, and it looked like I was a little ahead of my standard pace, so I slowed it down a bit.  Mile 2 was torture.  I wanted to die, but not once did I ever think of quitting.  I did walk a few times, but never more than a minute at a time.

Finally, I headed toward the final stretch.  I checked my app - 2.89.  This was it - I was getting closer.  Thank God!!  And when I turned the corner and saw the finish line in the distance, I sprinted.  I had so much energy, and the adrenaline returned.  I sprinted in to that finish line, and glanced at my app....

37:31

I couldn't believe it, and still can't!  I beat my goal (and previous times) by almost 4 minutes!  I was so proud of myself, and still am.  I am happy to call myself a runner.  My goal for my next race?  To run the whole thing, and of course beat 37:31.  Running a 5K had been on my bucket list for a long time.  You would think that since I checked that off, I could stop.  Nope.  I love running - it's something that has brought me so much peace, energy, and happiness the past couple of months.  It is the one constant in my life.  I do plan on running a few more 5Ks.  And come back tomorrow to hear all about what happens now that I've completed my first 5K.  I've got lots in store for the upcoming months!     :)


9 comments:

  1. yay!! I'm so proud of you Heather :) keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo!!! Congrats on beating your goal! No matter how many times you run on your own, nothing beats the actual race day! You should feel extremely proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you. And thank you!

      Delete
  3. Way to go Heather. Great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats girl.... So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! It sounds like an awesome experience for your first 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go! 4 min is a huge PR. So exciting when you hit the point where you actually like to run instead of dreading it (that took me a long time).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your first 5K! I'm pretty sure mine was much slower than that and with regular running I've made leaps and bounds with my time. I'm sure you will, too! Happy to see another person catch the running bug! :D

    ReplyDelete