Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2014 Resolutions

I have good reason for not posting much.  A reason that rocked me to my core on Christmas Eve morning.  I don't want to get in to the nitty gritty details, but M was taken by immigration officers at around 7:30, Christmas Eve morning.  To say I was devastated was an understatement.  I spent the holidays crying, not able to eat.  To make a long story short, his family came up with the money ($15,000) to get him out for now.  The next few months will be spent in the courts, fighting to let him stay with his family.

Immigration reform needs to happen, and it needs to happen fast.  So many people try so hard to come here legally, but the law, both here and in their home countries, makes it impossible.  Living the American dream is something that does not come easy for these people, and I never really understood it until now.  You don't know what it's like until you live it with someone else.  Taking people from their families is not okay.  Especially when 95% of these people have no criminal record, other than wanting a better life for themselves and for their families.  But it's a risk they're willing to take, because life in their home country is 10 times worse than living here in fear.  The real criminals are the ones working for the government, tearing these people apart from their children and their families.  Those are the real criminals to me.  Especially the two men that took M - they seemed to get a sick pleasure doing it.  Taunting him, telling him he's going back to his country.  These people make me sick.  But karma will come to them.  I know it.

----

Okay, now that I got that out, it's time to talk resolutions.  My last post, I went over my resolutions for 2013.  This year, I'm really hunkering down.  I'll be back to blogging every day, and working my butt off.  I've had enough drama- and failure-filled years.  It's time to turn over a new leaf, and live the best year for me.  No more worrying about others - it's time to focus on me.  So here we go....


ONE.
Stop worrying about what other people think or feel (within reason of course - I'm not going to become heartless, here...ha!).  I waste too much of my energy doing what other people think is right.  Caring too much about how others will feel if I do something I want to do.  It's time to get selfish, and worrying about what will make me happy.  Not what will make others happy.


TWO.
Lose 40 pounds.  I'm putting a number on it this year.  Last year I just said I wanted to "lose weight."  Now, I'm saying I want to lose 40 pounds, which will bring me to 125 pounds.  This was not my ultimate goal weight, but I've decided that this will be my goal for 2014.  So I have 12 months to lose 40 pounds - perfectly reasonable.

Picture

THREE.
Run a 10K.  Yep.  I'm getting back in to running.  I've even picked out the 10K I want to run - it will be the Turtle Fest 5K & 10K in Perham, MN (it's not too far from my cabin, so it's a great location for me - free lodging!!).  Race day is June 21.


FOUR.
Run a 1/2 Marathon.  I have officially gone crazy.  But I want to get in to running again.  And I think this is the way to do it.  I'm pushing myself past my comfort zone - that's the only way to do it.  More details will be coming about my training plans and other races I plan to attend throughout the year, right here on my blog!   :)   1/2 Marathon day will be July 20.


FIVE.
Eat clean.  I've spent too much time going back and forth with my diet.  Eat paleo.  Eat a certain number of calories.  Low carb.  Only fruits and vegetables.  No meats on certain days of the week.  I can eat what I want, but watch my portions (yeah, like that's ever worked for me, ha!).  ENOUGH!  2014 is the year I'm embarking on a clean eating journey.  Time to stop treating my body like a trash can, and give it the proper fuel it needs to run those races!!!   :)

----

There ya have it!  I've got a big year ahead of me, and it's looking pretty amazing!!  Happy New Year to all of you!

1 comment: